- Paid Positions
School Principal – Open
The Toronto Japanese Language School cordially invites applications for the position of Principal, starting September 2021 or as soon as possible.
The School, established in 1949, served Japanese Canadian families in Toronto by providing lessons on Japanese language and culture in the wake of the internment. Today, located at the Orde Street Public School, the School operates as a registered charity and provides language instruction to anyone interested in learning the Japanese language. The School has ca. 110 in its children’s division (Preschool to Grade 8) and ca. 160 in its adults’ division. Classes, ranging from beginner to advanced levels, take place on Saturday mornings, from September to June the following year.
Candidate submitting an application will:
- have 5 or more years of experience as a classroom teacher, with at least 2 years in an elementary school setting
- have proven educational leadership
- have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- be competent in both English and Japanese languages
Primary responsibilities of this position will be:
- to oversee the School’s curriculum
- To lead teacher recruitment, development, and evaluation
- to liaise between the teachers and the Board; to officiate the teachers’ meetings and provide appropriate advice and updates at the Board meetings in an ex officio capacity
- to interact with students and parents face-to-face
- to direct the School’s annual events, including but not limited to the Okamatsu Speech Contest and Graduation Ceremony
- to act as a representative of the School in the broader Japanese Canadian community
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a part-time position; Canadian citizens or permanent residents preferred.
Interested individuals should forward their cover letters and resumes as a single PDF file to Joyce Nakagawa, Chair of the Search Committee at [email protected] Please also provide contact information of two referees.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Only those applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. For all enquiries, please write to the Chair of the Search Committee.